You may already know the basics for a great picture (posture, pose, makeup tricks), but what you may not realize is that what you wear can have just as much of an effect on the outcome of a photo as your smile. And I'm talking more than just making sure your outfit is on point! We all want that Instagram-worthy picture, which is why I've made a list of all the fashion Do's and Don'ts to help you look your best in each and every snap.
DON’T: BUSY PRINTS | DO: CLASSIC PRINTS
Busy patterns tend to look chaotic in pictures, losing their shape and creating optical illusions that take the focus away from you. Some pattern is okay, but stray away from dresses or jumpsuits with an all-over design. Or if you must, try throwing a blazer or sweater over your favorite floral dress to relax the look a bit.
Mel's Tip: vertical stripes and small polkadots are the easiest patterns to wear, and the most flattering. Jenny's striped dress is the perfect example, and her coat brings balance to her overall look.
1. CREATURES OF THE WIND Dress 2. KENDRA SCOTT Stone Ring 3. MOSCHINO CHEAPANDCHIC Full-length Jacket 4. TOPSHOP Ring Pack 5. TOD'S Suede Loafers 6. MEL BOTERI Black Saffiano Leather Watson Mini Cross-Body
DON’T: PRINTS ON AREAS YOU WANT TO HIDE | DO: SOLID COLORS
This goes hand-in-hand with the aforementioned pattern problem. Not crazy about your legs? A cool pair of patterned leggings or jeans is probably not the best idea. Solid colors help bring less attention to one specific area and more focus to your overall look. Maria always looks amazing, especially in this monochromatic look below!!
1. TOMAS MAIER Sweater Dress 2. REBECCA MINKOFF Arm Cuff 3. NADRI Cuff 4. NADRI Drop-Back Earrings 5. MEL BOTERI Slate Grey Saffiano Leather Watson Tote 6. MARC BY MARC JACOBS Oversized Sunglasses 7. GOLDEN GOOSE Sneakers
DON’T: SHINY CLOTHING | DO: USE ACCESSORIES AND ACCENT PIECES
Aside from their reputation for being unflattering, sequins and metallic threads will reflect the light from the camera flash, thus creating spots on your photos. For professional images, I recommend only using sequins or bright metallics in your accessories if you absolutely need some sparkle. My favorite way to add some spunk to an outfit is by using fur or fringe accents. Jessie demonstrates how these photograph well and add dimension to the pictures.
1. J BRAND Distressed Skinny Jeans 2. SHEIN Plaid Blouse 3. TOPSHOP Layered Necklace 4. RAG & BONE Wool-felt Fedora 5. ELIE SAAB Buckle Belt 6. VINCE CAMUTO Faceted Rings 7. MEL BOTERI Black Saffiano Leather Christy Midi Tote
DON’T: IMPERFECT CLOTHES | DO: PURPOSEFULLY LOOSE
Clothes that aren't the right size, don't fit properly, or have excessive wrinkles do NOT look good in photos - or in real life for that matter. Oversized clothing is in right now, so don't worry about the perfect fit in items like coats, sweaters, sunglasses and some dresses. Mel's Tip: only wear one or two oversized pieces per outfit. Example: a coat and a scarf. This way you still be chic, without looking like your clothes are 3 sizes too big. Becca's ensemble is the perfect way to use several, key oversized pieces.
1. FRAME DENIM Suede Coat 2. THEORY Stretch-jersey Dress 3. KATE SPADE Cat Eye Sunglasses 4. RAG & BONE Wool-felt Fedora 5. MEL BOTERI Starburst Metallic Faith Clutch 6. ISABEL MARANT Suede Ankle Boots
DON’T: ANKLE STRAPS | DO: HIGH HEELS
I love a strappy stiletto just as much as the next girl, but sometimes in pictures these can make your legs look shorter (when the strap cuts off at the ankle, it takes away from the length of your legs). A classic pair of high heels, or booties that stop above the ankle are the way to eliminate this issue. Courtney's booties are high enough to streamline the leg and to not worry about them looking choppy...pure perfection!!
1. DIESEL Distressed Skinny Jeans 2. RALPH LAUREN Cable Knit Sweater 3. ANNA BECK Cuff 4. MICHAEL KORS Bracelet Watch 5. WANDERLUST Name Plate Bracelet 6. SBICCA Boots 7. MEL BOTERI Silver Snake-Effect Lola Small Shoulder Bag
Whether you're getting ready for your next family photo, or just working on upping your Instagram game, I hope these tips help you love every pic you take!! Enjoy ;)