It seems today's fashion is having some major nostalgia for two of our most iconic decades: the 70's and the 90's. Specific to the 90's, the biggest trend to emerge was the grunge style pioneered by the likes of Kurt Cobain and Kate Moss.
Expressing a love of freedom and a refusal for conformity, grunge was manifested not only through fashionistas of the time, but also through the decade's general attitude towards life. And while I am all for the revival of a free spirited attitude, it's also important that we embrace it without sacrificing our modernity.
Grunge styles typically have a monochromatic and nonchalant look to them. Today, try incorporating oversized masculine tops and scarves to your look, complemented by round sunglasses and (some) colorful accents. As always, Elshane looks completely fabulous and modern in her gilded grunge style!
1. CREATURES OF THE WIND Dress 2. THEORY Blazer 3. L. ERICKSON Silk Head Wrap 4. GORJANA Hand Chain 5. ANNA BECK Ring 6. ANNA BECK Ring 7. ALAIA Suede Ankle Boots 8. MEL BOTERI Black Croc-Embossed Emmy Convertible Clutch
If there is one article of clothing that screams grunge to me, it's a classic leather jacket. I am embarrassed to say that I did not own one until just recently, and I don't know how I lived without it! A leather jacket will be your saving grace in any situation where you need something chic to throw on last minute that is a little more casual than a blazer. I love how Jenny has paired her jacket with a pretty, girly dress.
1. TOPSHOP Mini Dress 2. MADEWELL Leather Biker Jacket 3. MAISON MICHEL Wide-brim Hat 4. KONSTANTINO Cuff 5. ALEXANDER WANG Ankle Boots 6. BAUBLEBAR Necklace 7. MEL BOTERI Basic Black Croc-Embossed Blake Satchel
A checkered shirt effortlessly tied at the waist over a loose, floral dress was definitely THE look of the 90's. But, if you want to put a modern spin on this style, try wearing your plaid on a skirt! I love Jessie's look for a casual spring day. You can read her advice on how to look "grunge chic" here.
1. PROENZA SCHOULER Plaid Maxi Skirt 2. TOM FORD Silk Shirt 3. J.CREW Wool-tweed Blazer 4. CHLOE Round Sunglasses 5. KENDRA SCOTT Ring 6. JUNIOR LEITH Cuff Bracelet 7. GIANVITO ROSSI Suede Pumps 8. MEL BOTERI Marissa Small Tote
I can never, could never, will never live without denim! Distressed denim is one of the true takeaways from the grunge era that will luckily never die. Becca Tobin's look is the epitome of modern grunge chic.
1. STROM Boyfriend Jeans 2. GIAMBA T-Shirt 3. THE ELDER STATESMAN Cashmere Vest 4. KONSTANTINO Stone Cuff 5. KONSTANTINO Stone Ring 6. FRANCESCO RUSSO Pumps 7. MEL BOTERI Grey Saffiano Leather Watson Mini Cross-Body
The key to becoming a true champion of 90's styling is knowing how to perfectly layer. Jane Song gives us a fun new way to do this by adding an asymmetric coat over a top and a short skirt - all in varying shades of grey.
1. DIOR Sunglasses 2. GINGER & SMART Camisole Top 3. ACNE STUDIOS Oversized Cardigan 4. GORJANA Necklace 5. GIANVITO ROSSI Suede Over-the-knee Boots 6. VIVIENNE WESTWOOD Short Skirt 7. MEL BOTERI Leche Lola Small Shoulder Handbag
Although the word itself tends to elicit images of sloppiness and an unkempt appearance, when styled properly grunge can actually be quite chic! Show me your modern spin on this 90's trend by tagging #MBStyleGuide and #MYMB.