Initially created for fighter pilots in WWII, the bomber jacket is a fashion trend a long time in the making. Although it was originally designed for men, today it should be a staple in every woman's wardrobe. Here are my tips on how to integrate this piece of fashion history into your closet - and just in time for fall!!
THE BOMBER JACKET + JEANS
Due to its military roots, the bomber jacket has a pretty masculine vibe. My favorite way to wear this trend is with another masculine, fashion staple...the blue jean!! Sally from A Piece of Toast blog perfectly plays with androgyny, adding a touch of femininity to her bomber + jeans with trendy mules.
PHOTO CREDIT: A PIECE OF TOAST
1. RAG & BONE The Boyfriend Jeans 2. MADEWELL Cotton-jersey T-shirt 3. IRO Bomber Jacket 4. AURELIE BIDERMANN Crystal Ring 5. BALENCIAGA Mules 6. MEL BOTERI Large Black Stephanie Tote
THE BOMBER JACKET + ALL BLACK
Trends will come and trends will go, but black on black is forever here to stay. So you can't go wrong with black denim shorts, your fave black T-shirt and comfy black sneakers, topped off with a checkered bomber jacket. All-black outfits are a classic look, so don't be scared to mix things up with a pop of color. Nicole from Pumps and Iron does a great job capturing this casual chic look perfect for Saturday errands.
PHOTO CREDIT: PUMPS AND IRON
1. SPLENDID T-shirt 2. R13 Bomber Jacket 3. RAY-BAN The Wayfarer Sunglasses 4. J BRAND Denim Shorts 5. CONVERSE Canvas Sneakers 6. MEL BOTERI Marissa Small Tote
THE BOMBER JACKET + A CLASSIC SHIRT
For those of you ready to step out of your style comfort zone, try pairing a bomber jacket with your favorite classic shirt. The key to making this work is to ensure each piece is simple, clean cut and of a solid color. Opt for a simple bomber jacket with subtle accents like Jessie Kass who looks runway ready here in this stunning outfit!!
PHOTO CREDIT: SEAMS FOR A DESIRE
1. SAINT LAURENT Leather Skinny Pants 2. EQUIPMENT Shirt 3. DAMIR DOMA Bomber Jacket 4. DOLCE & GABBANA Sunglasses 5. ALEXANDER MCQUEEN Wrap Bracelet 6. JIMMY CHOO Suede Pumps 7. MEL BOTERI Cobalt Blue Saffiano Leather Christy Mini Tote 8. LARSSON & JENNINGS Gold-plated Watch
HOW TO WEAR THE FLORAL BOMBER JACKET
The floral bomber jacket is definitely meant to be the focal point in your look, so balance it out over a casual shirt and jeans. If you are as brave as Elshane, wear it with a patterned skirt or pant to really stand out, and don't forget about the shoes!! If you wear a shoe with a pop of color, match it with a stand-out hue in your patterned jacket.
PHOTO CREDIT: ELSHANE'S WORLD
1. TOMAS MAIER Pencil Skirt 2. GIVENCHY Floral Bomber Jacket 3. MARC BY MARC JACOBS Leather Cuff 4. JENNIFER FISHER Bracelet 5. JENNIFER FISHER Ring 6. RAY-BAN The Wayfarer Sunglasses 7. DOLCE & GABBANA Satin Sandals 8. MEL BOTERI Matte Gold Leather Lauren Clutch
HOW TO WEAR THE DENIM BOMBER JACKET
You know I'm on a denim kick right now, and a bomber jacket in denim is not only super cute, but it adds a sporty touch to your look. Super versatile, this piece can be worn with just about anything. Patterns, solids, skirts, pants...it all looks great!! Jessie Kass really spices her look up by wearing her denim bomber jacket with white shorts and a camo shirt.
PHOTO CREDIT: SEAMS FOR A DESIRE
1. MR & MRS ITALY Distressed T-Shirt 2. CURRENT/ELLIOTT Denim Bomber Jacket 3. DOLCE & GABBANA Sunglasses 4. JENNIFER FISHER Bangle 5. CURRENT/ELLIOTT The Boyfriend Shorts 6. CHLOE Color-block Sandals 7. MEL BOTERI Dark Green Croc-Embossed Cynthia Tote
With a little imagination, the bomber jacket will soon become your go-to piece for fall. Are you tempted to give it a spin?? Let me know how you wear the iconic bomber jacket by using #MYMB and #BestDressedMB and I'll repost my faves!!
Comment on this article